Wednesday 26 November 2008

Game Design

It’s obvious that a great deal of thought needs to go into a game during its creation. For example, Gameplay. It’s an integral feature of game design and it pretty much entails the overall gaming experience not including sound and graphics.

I think one of my favourite game companies is definitely EA. They produce some of the most popular and successful games ever. They are most certainly one of the most crucial developers in the industry.


My next question is to say where game design takes place in the modern Developer. I’m a little confused about what this means. If it means, where they stand in the company, they’re quite far up the chain. Nearly at the top actually. They stand just under the producer who administers the whole development of a game. A game designer hones key aspects such as concept, layout and gameplay. Below game designers are artists, programmers, level designers, sound engineers and testers, all of who create the team that produce the games we play. It can’t all be one person’s responsibility.

In some ways I think that some game genres require a certain design principal. A survival horror game always seems to be designed in a more realistic way. A game like Ratchet and Clank uses a more cartoon like design. But fantasy RPG games can use variety of realism and cartoon designs.

I’ve looked through my collection of games and it’s evident that I prefer a game that is more real with the likes of Assassins Creed and Grand Theft Auto 4.
I’ll keep working on my blog with the next topic soon. Thanks for reading.

No comments: