Wednesday 15 October 2008

Where Gaming Began...

Despite what a lot of people may think, including myself initially, the history of computer games stretches way back to the late 1940’s. As to which game was the first to be created is even today widely debated among the professionals. However upon research I have conducted, I have learnt that the first electronic game ever made was in 1947 by Thomas Goldsmith Jr. and Estle Ray Mann. The game didn’t have a name that I know of but the device it was played on was called a cathode ray tube.




Other games that saw the birth of the gaming industry were the likes of Nim which was made by a leading UK electrical engineering company called Ferranti in 1951.Next came OXO, made in 1952 by Alexander Douglas and it was made for the EDSAC computer.
These were the earliest contributions to the once delicate world of gaming. These games were followed a few years later by the likes of Tennis for two, Spacewar! and the legendary Pong. I guess you might say that all these people are accountable for making computers instruments of entertainment, beside their other functions that is. Now I am supposed to say whether this seems significant and where I would say that this change in technology is important, a lot of people would have no problem disagreeing with me.

I have been playing on computer games for as long as I can remember. This began with Super Mario on the NES and currently I am playing on Soul Calibur 4 on my PS3 and I’ve also began to go through Tomb Raider Anniversary again. But what happened from then to now is pretty extensive. After Super Mario my sisters and I began to play on our Sega Megadrive with games like Sonic the Hedgehog and Streetfighter. I would go around to my cousin’s house quite a lot because he had a Playstation. It was there that I discovered Tomb Raider and straight away I knew I had found one of my most favourite games. Even now it is a personal classic of mine and I am eagerly awaiting the release of Tomb Raider Underworld, the first of the series to go next-gen.






Anyway, after I discovered Tomb Raider I finally got a PS1 of my own. It was Christmas and I had been nagging my poor mum for months. Then my friend introduced me to another personal favourite, Final Fantasy VII. From there I discovered many new games but none were as important as the next leap in gaming evolution which was the PS2. I was getting older and my taste in games was expanding broadly. For example, I made a hasty and worthwhile purchase in GTA3 and other games I fell in love with were Burnout, God of War and Disgaea, to name a few.




Now I own a PS3 and I have continued to follow the development of my favourite games. The evolution of computer games is the core reason that I have carried on playing and it’s the reason I am going to keep on playing, to assure that I witness all future advancement the gaming industry makes.

No comments: