Saturday 6 December 2008

The Technology

Its noticeable how gaming technology has changed over the past couple of decades. I still remember the simplicity of interacting with a console like the Gameboy or the original Playstation. It was clear that technology was truly advancing with the release of the PS2 and Gamecube. Despite this evolution, the consoles were still very simple to use. Next came the huge leap to the more current Xbox 360 and the PS3. Now, I don’t think that gaming is very simple anymore. I find the “next-gen” consoles very complex. I still don’t know the full capabilities of my own PS3.


In appearance, I believe that games consoles have really improved. I love the sleek, cool design of the PS3 and I also like the PSP for its external design. The design for the 360 is ok too. It’s how I would imagine the stereotypical concept of a console to look if you see what I mean.


Some say that the game control pad and the joystick are a dying trend although I really hope that this isn’t the case. I see these elements of gaming to be important to the identity of the platform and the games you play. After all, the original design for the PS3 game pad was ridiculed for being rather unconventional in appearance. However, the design was specifically designed for conventionality. So this said, appearance is important even when it comes to games consoles.

No comments: